title="Chelmsley Wood Town Council in West Midlands">

, welcome to Chelmsley Wood Town Council websiteMon, 20th August 2018

Chelmsley Wood Town Council serves over 12,000 local people. Chelmsley Wood is part of Solihull in the West Midlands.

Please contact us if you have questions concerning the work of the Town Council, if you have any concerns that you feel the Council should be aware of or where it can help or support you.

You can use the tabs above or to the left to find your way around the site.

If you want to report rubbish/fly tipping, please contact Solihull Metropolitan Brough Council on 0121 704 8000. The call centre will ask you for the location of the rubbish/fly tipping, what sort of rubbish/fly tipping it is (i.e. black bags, sofa etc) and approximately how much there is.

If you want to discuss Housing issues, please contact Solihull Community Housing by telephoning 0121 717 1515 or emailing solihullcommunityhousing.org.uk



search: Chelmsley wood town coucil








Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014 Sections 26 and 27

The Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/234)




1. Date of announcement: Thursday 28 June 2018

2. Each year the smaller authority’s Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR) needs to be reviewed by an external auditor appointed by Smaller Authorities’ Audit Appointments Ltd.  The unaudited AGAR has been published with this notice. As it has yet to be reviewed by the appointed auditor, it is subject to change as a result of that review.

Any person interested has the right to inspect and make copies of the accounting records for the financial year to which the audit relates and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers, receipts and other documents relating to those records must be made available for inspection by any person interested. For the year ended 31 March 2018, these documents will be available on reasonable notice by application to:


      Karen Stevens - Clerk to the Council/RFO,

      Chelmsley Wood Town Council, 107 Helmswood Drive, Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham, B37 7NS.

      Tel: 0121 770 4499 option 4, email: karen.stevens@chelmsleywood-tc.go.uk


commencing on: Monday 2 July 2018

and ending on: Friday 10 August 2018


3. Local government electors and their representatives also have:

·          The opportunity to question the appointed auditor about the accounting records; and

·          The right to make an objection which concerns a matter in respect of which the appointed auditor could either make a public interest report or apply to the court for a declaration that an item of account is unlawful. Written notice of an objection must first be given to the auditor and a copy sent to the smaller authority.


The appointed auditor can be contacted at the address in paragraph 4 below for this purpose between the above dates only.


4. The smaller authority’s AGAR is subject to review by the appointed auditor under the provisions of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 and the NAO’s Code of Audit Practice 2015.  The appointed auditor is:


PKF Littlejohn LLP (Ref: SBA Team)

1 Westferry Circus

Canary Wharf

London E14 4HD



5. This announcement is made by:  Karen Stevens (RFO)





Please note that this summary applies to all relevant smaller authorities, including local councils, internal drainage boards and ‘other’ smaller authorities.


The basic position


The Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014 (the Act) governs the work of auditors appointed to smaller authorities. This summary explains the provisions contained in Sections 26 and 27 of the Act. The Act and the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 also cover the duties, responsibilities and rights of smaller authorities, other organisations and the public concerning the accounts being audited.

As a local elector, or an interested person, you have certain legal rights in respect of the accounting records of smaller authorities. As an interested person you can inspect accounting records and related documents. If you are a local government elector for the area to which the accounts relate you can also ask questions about the accounts and object to them. You do not have to pay directly for exercising your rights. However, any resulting costs incurred by the smaller authority form part of its running costs. Therefore, indirectly, local residents pay for the cost of you exercising your rights through their council tax.

The right to inspect the accounting records


Any interested person can inspect the accounting records, which includes but is not limited to local electors. You can inspect the accounting records for the financial year to which the audit relates and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers, receipts and other documents relating to those records. You can copy all, or part, of these records or documents. Your inspection must be about the accounts, or relate to an item in the accounts. You cannot, for example, inspect or copy documents unrelated to the accounts, or that include personal information (Section 26 (6) – (10) of the Act explains what is meant by personal information). You cannot inspect information which is protected by commercial confidentiality. This is information which would prejudice commercial confidentiality if it was released to the public and there is not, set against this, a very strong reason in the public interest why it should nevertheless be disclosed.


When smaller authorities have finished preparing accounts for the financial year and approved them, they must publish them (including on a website). There must be a 30 working day period, called the ‘period for the exercise of public rights’, during which you can exercise your statutory right to inspect the accounting records. Smaller authorities must tell the public, including advertising this on their website, that the accounting records and related documents are available to inspect. By arrangement you will then have 30 working days to inspect and make copies of the accounting records. You may have to pay a copying charge. The 30 working day period must include a common period of inspection during which all smaller authorities’ accounting records are available to inspect. This will be 2-13 July 2018 for 2017/18 accounts. The advertisement must set out the dates of the period for the exercise of public rights, how you can communicate to the smaller authority that you wish to inspect the accounting records and related documents, the name and address of the auditor, and the relevant legislation that governs the inspection of accounts and objections.


The right to ask the auditor questions about the accounting records


You should first ask your smaller authority about the accounting records, since they hold all the details. If you are a local elector, your right to ask questions of the external auditor is enshrined in law. However, while the auditor will answer your questions where possible, they are not always obliged to do so. For example, the question might be better answered by another organisation, require investigation beyond the auditor’s remit, or involve disproportionate cost (which is borne by the local taxpayer). Give your smaller authority the opportunity first to explain anything in the accounting records that you are unsure about. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, you can question the external auditor about the accounting records.

The law limits the time available for you formally to ask questions. This must be done in the period for the exercise of pubic rights, so let the external auditor know your concern as soon as possible. The advertisement or notice that tells you the accounting records are available to inspect will also give the period for the exercise of public rights during which you may ask the auditor questions, which here means formally asking questions under the Act. You can ask someone to represent you when asking the external auditor questions.

Before you ask the external auditor any questions, inspect the accounting records fully, so you know what they contain. Please remember that you cannot formally ask questions, under the Act, after the end of the period for the exercise of public rights. You may ask your smaller authority other questions about their accounts for any year, at any time. But these are not questions under the Act.

You can ask the external auditor questions about an item in the accounting records for the financial year being audited. However, your right to ask the external auditor questions is limited. The external auditor can only answer ‘what’ questions, not ‘why’ questions. The external auditor cannot answer questions about policies, finances, procedures or anything else unless it is directly relevant to an item in the accounting records. Remember that your questions must always be about facts, not opinions. To avoid misunderstanding, we recommend that you always put your questions in writing.

The right to make objections at audit


You have inspected the accounting records and asked your questions of the smaller authority. Now you may wish to object to the accounts on the basis that an item in them is in your view unlawful or there are matters of wider concern arising from the smaller authority’s finances. A local government elector can ask the external auditor to apply to the High Court for a declaration that an item of account is unlawful, or to issue a report on matters which are in the public interest. You must tell the external auditor which specific item in the accounts you object to and why you think the item is unlawful, or why you think that a public interest report should be made about it. You must provide the external auditor with the evidence you have to support your objection. Disagreeing with income or spending does not make it unlawful. To object to the accounts you must write to the external auditor stating you want to make an objection, including the information and evidence below and you must send a copy to the smaller authority. The notice must include:


·         confirmation that you are an elector in the smaller authority’s area;

·         why you are objecting to the accounts and the facts on which you rely;

·         details of any item in the accounts that you think is unlawful; and

·         details of any matter about which you think the external auditor should make a public interest report.


Other than it must be in writing, there is no set format for objecting. You can only ask the external auditor to act within the powers available under the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.


A final word


You may not use this ‘right to object’ to make a personal complaint or claim against your smaller authority.  You should take such complaints to your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau, local Law Centre or to your solicitor. Smaller authorities, and so local taxpayers, meet the costs of dealing with questions and objections.  In deciding whether to take your objection forward, one of a series of factors the auditor must take into account is the cost that will be involved, they will only continue with the objection if it is in the public interest to do so. They may also decide not to consider an objection if they think that it is frivolous or vexatious, or if it repeats an objection already considered. If you appeal to the courts against an auditor’s decision not to apply to the courts for a declaration that an item of account is unlawful, you will have to pay for the action yourself.


For more detailed guidance on public rights and the special powers of auditors, copies of the publication Local authority accounts: A guide to your rights are available from the NAO website.


If you wish to contact your authority’s appointed external auditor please write to the address in paragraph 4 of the Notice of Public Rights and Publication of Unaudited Annual Governance & Accountability Return.



Audited Accounts 2016/2017


                    CHELMSLEY WOOD TOWN COUNCIL      
         (Last) Year Ended               (Current) Year Ended
  31-Mar-16               31-Mar-17  
  £               £  
  181940.00   Precept           192929.00  
  43406.00   Grants           34652.00  
  1380.00   Allotment holders rental       1380.00  
  9966.57   Hall letting fees         11042.5  
  145772.29   Sports centre charges       177862.21  
  5760.00   Playing fields letting fees       5175.00  
  1015.73   Investment income         66.67  
  189.46   Special Events         1459.52  
  389430.05     TOTAL INCOME       424566.90  
  74853.87   General administration       85866.21  
      Running costs            
  9241.89          Allotments         1596.73  
  307379.38          Sports centre         310242.19  
  20144.89          Playing fields         20453.99  
  0.00   S 137 Payments            
  0.00   Other donations / contributions to voluntary organisations    
      Special events            
  5974.86          Christmas decorations       6606.78  
  7326.03          Bonfire         9675.61  
             Charity ball            
  792.5          Garden competition       250  
  425713.42     TOTAL EXPENDITURE     434691.51  
  -36283.37     SURPLUS /DEFICIT FOR YEAR   -10124.61  
  123598.99     BALANCE  BROUGHT FORWARD   87315.62  
  87315.62     BALANCE CARRIED FORWARD   77191.01  
                       CHELMSLEY WOOD TOWN COUNCIL      
                    BALANCE SHEET  AS AT 31st MARCH 2017    
          (Last) Year Ended               (Current) Year Ended
  31-Mar-16               31-Mar-17  
News Feed  Recent News
NewsOnward Club Family Fun Day  »  (3 September, 2016)
NewsOnward Club Family Disco  »  (3 September, 2016)
NewsCouncillor Vacancies Heath Ward  »  (26 April, 2016)
NewsCouncillor Vacancies - Chelmsley Ward  »  (26 April, 2016)
NewsFIREWORKS DISPLAY 2015  »  (18 September, 2015)
NewsFIREWORKS 2014  »  (3 October, 2014)
     [+ more news...]

View Local Weather View Local Weather
View Local Travel View Local Travel
Welcome to the new Chelmsley Wood Town Council website. Please contact us to let you know your thoughts about the new site...